– The latest attack indicates that some policewomen might have gone missing
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau has said his group was responsible for last week’s ambush of a military-escorted convoy of travellers along Maiduguri-Damboa road.
Premium Times had reported the ambush during which many civilians were abducted including 16 female police officers.
The police in Borno state had said at least two persons, including a police officer were killed while six others were injured.
The police, however, denied being aware of the abductions.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
In a YouTube video released on Monday, June 26 Shekau, confirmed that his group did carry out the Damboa ambush.
He said the ambush on the convoy along Maiduguri-Damboa road was a “victory” given to them by God and that the policewomen abducted were taken as slaves.
Mr. Shekau said the ease with which they conducted the ambush was an indication that he still commanded large following and his group has not been defeated.
He also issued a threat to Muslim clerics whom he said are misleading the world on the true teaching of Islam.
NAIJ.com lists 9 major things the Islamist group leader said.
1. The job that our men carried out along Damboa road was a victory from God. We are the ones that did it.
2. The people of Nigeria and the so-called Islamic clerics who are betrayers, we are calling on you all to repent and return to God. Your leaders are feeding you with lies on what they have not done; but we are well and in good shape. If you could come and have a look at the life we are living here, most of you would rather wish to be with us to enjoy what we are enjoying. We are living fine because it is God we work for.
3. We did the Damboa road ambush; and the operation had put a lie to all claims of Nigeria soldiers, the police and other top government officials that they have finished Boko Haram. But the Damboa road ambush had made it clear that they have been telling lies to the world. A liar can never be victorious here and in hereafter.
4. We have confiscated several cars, and we also have taken women, among them were top policewomen. God had given the senior policewomen to us as slaves and has put them in the custody we that are known as the Jamaatu Ahlil Sunna li Dawati wal Jihad, which you called with the derogatory name as Boko Haram.
5. This is nothing compared to what the government and soldiers of Nigeria had done to our own women and wives, and even our children. Our friends have been in detention for years, many were killed. So, if we abduct few women, who are not more than ten or thereabout, it’s not a big deal.
6. My message to Islamic clerics in Nigeria who despite their position are giving wrong interpretation to the Holy Quran; you are playing with hell fire. You have to be careful because Quran has divided mankind into three; some are believers, some are Hypocrites and some are non-believers. There is no way we Muslims in mosques and Christians in churches and you think we can work together.
7. If you are insisting on dialogue we have to have a situation where Muslims are ruling with Sharia, and the non-Muslims agree to remain by the side without interference, then we can discuss on their rights; such non-Muslims are the ones that could be labelled as the trusted.
8. Where the country is being run by constitution and democracy, such kind of dialogue cannot be possible. And you the Islamic clerics are all out there preaching in the mosques and spoiling the image of Islam. If you don’t repent you shall not end well.
9. We call on Nigerians to repent and to come and work for Islam, in accordance with the caliphate that was established by Uthman Dan Fodio, which was a caliphate built upon truth and believe in God.
The police and the military have not reacted to the video as at the time of this report.
Meanwhile, the Adamawa state government has revealed that Boko Haram terrorists now pretend to be epileptic or stomach pain patients, attracting a large number of people to gather and express sympathy, only to detonate a bomb later.
The state government, while urging Nigerians to be careful of the new tactics, said it has embarked on advocacy across the state to educate parents to also teach their children not to collect gift from people they don’t know.
Watch a video report of the recently released Chibok girls by Boko Haram on NAIJ.com TV below: