The Nation reports that the police and other security agencies are searching for the sponsors of the 16 Northern youth groups that issued an October 1 quit notice to Igbo living in the North, it was learnt yesterday.
A covert profiling of the youth groups and their sponsors has been going on in the last three weeks.
But the arrest of leaders of the youth groups has been put on hold following intelligence report that their sponsors may have planned to set the nation on fire.
Vanguard reported that the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Saad Abubakar says ongoing agitations in the country are symptoms of rot in the Nigerian system. Newsmen report that Abubakar disclosed this in Sokoto when Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers paid him a Sallah homage.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The sultan said: ”In the past, a lot of things were done by some people with impunity and nothing was done. ”That is why you find lack of good governance now weighing us down now in the country.
The Guardian on the other hand reported that Nigerians still being held in various private prisons in Libya are in excess of 2,000. These Nigerians, who are mainly within 20 to 35 years of age, who left the country in search of greener pastures overseas, are being held for no crime but for falling into wrong hands in transit.
Some Libyan returnees, who recently came back into the country, recounted their miserable condition in the war-torn north African country, with an appeal to the Federal Government and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to redouble efforts at repatriating the Nigerians from slavery in Libya.
In the last six months, no fewer than 1,545 Nigerians have either been deported or assisted to voluntarily return from various countries, with the largest contingent being from Libya.
Thisday however went with the story that shareholder groups in the capital market have advised Etisalat Nigeria to settle the $1.2 billion debt it owes 13 commercial banks to avoid a takeover, even as the banks insist on the prosecution of the foreign directors of the company and its principal Mubadala.
The banks claim the Mubadala-appointed CFO of Etisalat Nigeria ( name withheld) diverted over $700,000 from the proceeds of the sale of its towers it earned when it sold to IHS – a Nigerian towers and telecommunications infrastructure provider. According to bank officials, they had financed the import and purchase of the towers through Huawei of China to help build the infrastructure backbone for Etisalat. But when the telco earned hard currencies from the sale, Etisalat failed to repay their USD loans as was done by other telcos like MTN and Airtel.
” It makes no sense that the Etisalat CFO simply exchanged the USD they earned at the official rate of $/ N200 when the forex markets was at almost $/N400 and used it for other purposes”, said a bank risk official at the weekend.
But the Punch reported that human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), on Tuesday, faulted the claim that a Federal High Court in Abuja had, last year, affirmed the power of the National Assembly to increase budgetary estimates submitted to it by the President.
Falana was the plaintiff in the suit in which Justice Gabriel Kolawole delivered the judgment cited by the federal lawmakers that the power of the National Assembly to alter the executive’s budgetary estimates had been recognised by the court.
Watch this interaction with Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of IPOB, and what he says about the agitation: