Toddler crushed to death by the same chiropractic table his mother was strapped to as she screamed for help
Last updated at 1:44 PM on 11th June 2011
A toddler has been crushed to death by a medical table in a chiropractor's office while his mother was strapped to it screaming for help.
The mother and her 18-month-old son were at First Chiropractic in Shoreview, Ramsey County, Minnesota, when the staff left them unattended.
Benjamin Bryan Newton crawled under the electrical spine therapy table and accidentally pushed a button which brought it down on top of him.
A stock image of the Triton DTS TRT-600 chiropractic machine which crushed Benjamin Bryan Newton to death
Amy Elizabeth Newton, 27, of Moundsview,
screamed for help but by the time clinic employees rushed to the room, raised the
table and began CPR on the boy, it was too late.
The child suffered head trauma and was taken to the Region's Hospital by paramedics. He was pronounced dead less than an hour after the incident occurred.
Two of her other children, also under the age of four, were also in the room.
Sheriff's spokesman Randy Gustafson said that they are viewing this incident as 'a tragic accident and does not anticipate any criminal charges' at this time.
He said that when Benjamin became caught, 'she screamed to get the attention of the staff there, who came in', Mr Gustafson said.
One leading chiropractic educator told the Star Tribune that her school's students are taught that a doctor or other clinic employee does not need to be with the patient during the entire time of treatment on this table or similar medical devices.
Tragedy: The toddler was crushed to death as his mother screamed for help at First Chiropractic in Shoreview, Minnesota
College of Chiropractic Dean Renee DeVries said: 'It's completely appropriate to leave the patient unattended for the time of treatment on a traction machine or other moving machines.
'People don't have to stand there and watch the machine move back and forth.'
Mr Gustafson said the mother had received care at the clinic several times before Thursday's incident. He said the initial investigation found that clinic employees do not always remain in the treatment room.
'This is kind of like standard operating procedure,' he said. 'It wasn't that out of the ordinary to leave people unattended for a few moments.'
He added: 'In hindsight, you go, it's got red flags everywhere.'
The clinic's doctor is Lowell Magelssen. He is licensed by the state Board of Chiropractic Examiners. The board's website lists no disciplinary action against him.
Mr Gustafson identified the equipment as a Triton DTS TRT-600, which weighs about 300 pounds.
Share this article:
Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
God it must have been heartbreaking for her knowing her child was trapped underneath, but who in gods name with an once of common sense would leave a room knowing there are small children playing around and the mother unable to do any supervision strapped to a table.
- Barbara , Sheffield south Yorkshire, 11/6/2011 18:42
Ok, it was an tragic accident but one that should never happen again. In future, NO kids allowed in these rooms.
- anon, london, 11/6/2011 17:53
What happened to common sense here? Three little kids in the room, and the mother is strapped to a table, unable to help them if something happens. Mindboggling.
- Maxwell Silverhammer, somewhere, 11/6/2011 17:17
Oh my God....that must have been a nightmare for everyone there, especially the poor Mother :( RIP little one....
- JB, London, 11/6/2011 16:58
Clinic staff are not there to baby-sit. Patients should either leave their children at home with a caregiver, or bring someone to the appointment to watch their children while the parent receives treatment.
- Everard, Ontario, Canada, 11/6/2011 15:43
I think the appropriate response will be to ban children from accompanying adults into treatment rooms. This was a terrible tragedy but surely the company does not have a responsibility to provide child care for three children under four while the mother has treatment?
- Julie, Leicester, UK, 11/6/2011 15:29
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
Rate this article
74-year-old Jean-Claude Mas, founder and Chief Executive of Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) The founder of a French breast implant company has been sentenced to four years ...
#JustAsking: Why Are Nigerians Displeased President Jonathan Was Not Listed To Pay Tribute To Mandela? Leave your thoughts….
President Jonathan at the lying-in-state of Nelson Mandela in Pretoria, South Africa Why are Nigerians displeased that President Jonathan was not listed amongst those that paid ...
PRETORIA – Toryna Lewis, who says she was a racist under South Africa’s oppressive apartheid system, wept as she described the sea change she and ...
What are we not going to see or hear in this country of ours, it is only here extra ordinary things take place...Can you guys ...
Delta State boxer, Okoro Vwerosuo on Tuesday, became the first female boxing champion as events at the National Youth Games (NYG) entered day three. Vwerosuo punched ...
When I read this article, couldn't help but say that Charly Boy really took it by the horns this time, even with all the controversies ...
A revered Islamic cleric, Sheik Aliyu Harazumi bin Sani Muhammad has died in Kano. The fallen Tijjaniyya Sheik died in his sleep Tuesday night at his ...
An apparently angry and frustrated ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo has written what clearly competes as one of the most acerbic letters in modern history to President ...
2 hours ago // News | General | SEE The Fake Life Nigerian Girls London Live In London ...
PRETORIA – Nelson Mandela’s funeral cortege has begun its solemn journey to the seat of South African government in Pretoria, where it will lie in ...
Founder and General Overseer of the Synagogue Church, Prophet T.B. Joshua says in an unusual manner, God did not reveal the death of Ghana’s President, ... Full story