More than 2,000 students potentially face deportation after a London university had its licence to teach and recruit overseas students revoked.
London Metropolitan University has had its right to sponsor students from outside the EU revoked, and will no longer be allowed to authorise visas.
The UK Border Agency says student attendance is not being monitored and that many have no right to be here.
The university said it would be challenging UKBA's claims.
A task force has been set up to help students affected by the decision which means some 2,000 overseas, non-EU, students have 60 days to find an alternative institution to sponsor them or face deportation.
Announcing the move on Wednesday night, the UK Border Agency said London Metropolitan University had "failed to address serious and systemic failings" identified six months ago.
The Higher Education Funding Council for England said it was an "unprecedented situation which relates only to London Metropolitan University" - which has a total of 30,000 students.
It added: "It will not affect existing or future international students at other universities. No other UK university has had its licence to sponsor international students revoked, and UKBA's decision does not in any way reflect concern about licensing arrangements at other universities in the UK."
The university's Highly Trusted Status (HTS) was suspended last month while the UKBA examined alleged failing, preventing it from being allowed to recruit overseas students.
Immigration Minister Damian Green said London Metropolitan University had failed in three particular areas:
More than a quarter of the 101 students sampled were studying at the university when they had no leave to remain in this country
Some 20 of 50 checked files found "no proper evidence" that the students' mandatory English levels had been reached
And some 142 of 250 (57%) sampled records had attendance monitoring issues which meant it was impossible for the university to know whether students were turning up for classes or not.
Professor Malcolm Gillies, the university's vice chancellor, described the claims made against the institution as "not particularly cogent" and said it would be disputing them.
He said: "I am not going to say that we accept what is stated in the letter sent to us revoking our licence.
"We only received it at 8pm last night and are currently doing a full analysis, working together with the best lawyers in the country.
"I would go so far as to say that UKBA has been rewriting its own guidelines on this issue and this is something which should cause concern to all universities in the UK."
'Panic and heartbreak'
The university added it had already started to work with the UKBA, Hefce, the NUS and its own students' union to tackle the issues.
Although there have been other suspensions, no other UK university has been fully stripped of its ability to recruit overseas students.
The NUS has contacted Prime Minister David Cameron and Home Secretary Theresa May to "express anger at the way that decisions have been made in recent weeks and to reiterate the potentially catastrophic effects on higher education as a £12.5bn per year export industry for the UK".
NUS president Liam Burns said: "This decision will create panic and potential heartbreak for students not just at London Met but also all around the country.
"This heavy-handed decision makes no sense for students, no sense for institutions and no sense for the country. This situation and the botched process by which the decision was arrived at could be avoided if international students were not included in statistics of permanent migrants."
Mr Burns added the decision could have been limited to future students rather than covering existing ones.
Meanwhile, a group of London Metropolitan University students have held a protest outside Downing Street as a result of their university having its overseas student licence revoked.
Dozens of students and supporters sat in silence in front of the gates to Number 10, with tape over their mouths, before police moved them across the street.
Rate this article
Founder of Niger Delta People Volunteer Front, NPDVF, Alhaji Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, has said that he was ready, bullet for bullet, for those who want to ...
A strict order has been given to the authorities of the T.B Joshua led Synagogue Church of all Nations, SCOAN by the Greater Accra Regional ...
Emotions ran high, Tuesday, at Lagos State Police Command, Ikeja, following startling revelations by suspected members of three syndicates, who specialised in selling human parts ...
Just came across this song in my email, apparently it leaked last night. Packaging by Tilaman produced by Legendary Beatz. Listen up, and share your thoughts ...
caption: Senator Nenadi Esther Usman ...
MilQ and Honey Fashion is a label that inspires and encourages every woman to feel comfortable and confident in their own skin. We celebrate the ...
The Democratic Peoples Party (DPP) says it is not in any merger with any political party or association. This is contained in a communiqué signed by ...
Former Head of State General Muhammadu Buhari has advised President Goodluck Jonathan to resign from office for his inability to tackle the security challenges facing ...
British No 2 Heather Watson is ready to return to action at next week's French Open in Paris after overcoming glandular fever.Watson, who turned 21 ...
Phil Neville admits it is flattering to be linked with the manager's job at Everton and believes he has the experience.Neville, who has called time ...
Founder and General Overseer of the Synagogue Church, Prophet T.B. Joshua says in an unusual manner, God did not reveal the death of Ghana’s President, ... Full story